Monday, January 14, 2008

Mrs Wee's Talk

Reflection for Mrs. Wee’s Talk

I find that Mrs. Wee’s Talk was very educational and appealing. Although profound, I could still understand much of it. In her talk, she emphasized the two words ‘critical’ and ‘thinking’. At first, we had no idea what it was. But gradually, I thought that it was crucial for students like us to be able to be successful. We need to think out of the box and process the information. Instead of looking at the surface, we have to dig deeper to know even deeper too. We have to think how, why.

There was a metaphor she used which I thought that it was absolutely right. To be a critical thinker, is just like to process like a powerful computer, to digest powerfully and to know not only the tip of an iceberg. We need to understand better so that we can know what we need in the future so that we live better.

We need Critical Thinking so that we can learn even better all the time. I agree with her that we need to learn all the time too. One of the important reasons to it is that we need catch up with the generation and time. There is also a Chinese proverb which means that when we get older, our knowledge gets older with it too. I also agree with Mrs. Wee that we also need Critical Thinking so that we can understand situations better to compete with others. Compete with the world. The reason we want to compete with others is also because we want to win. That is also what everyone’s aim.

I learned a lot from the experience with Mrs. Wee. But to reality, I realized that teachers and principals had always been trying to teach us to apply critical thinking by teaching us strategic reading, habits of mind, thinking skills and much more. One of the effective ways is to read newspaper. This allows us to gain more knowledge and also allows us to a wider range of question to be asked. I then realized how much teachers and principals are putting in to help us. Help us to become successful in life.

There is also another saying which I thought it was meaningful. Unless you really want to learn, you won’t learn anything. I thought that it was meaningful because I agree that if the effort we are putting in is not the fullest, what we learn are all futile attempts. We are learning only little, but only if we put in our whole heart, we learn the whole.

The talk, although was profound, it had a sense of motivation as if it was slapping us hard to wake up. It was truly an educational talk to me and I had learned a lot of things although, in a short, but precious hour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home