Saturday, May 3, 2008

I am here to post. Not for leisure, recreation or whatsoever. I have a desperate question to ask. To ask so that anyone who sees it can answer.

Based on the resource MC gave us(the photocopied stuff), we use SIMPLE PAST TENSE after the word wish.

This is what they wrote.

I wish I scored a hundred marks.

See.

Based on a resource book, which is written by a professor (linguistic), we use PAST PERFECT TENSE after the word wish.

This is what they wrote.

We use PAST PERFECT TENSE with such words as 'if only', 'wish', 'expect', etc. to show a past wish that was not realized. 2 examples.

I wish that I had brought my torch with me.

We had expected him to come. (but he didn't).

So how? I am confused. According to both resource, we use past perfect tense together with the simple past to show two past actions. The past perfect tense goes back further into the past, showing the particular action place with the 'had' happened first.

eg. When I had done my homework, I went to sleep.

This sentence, 'had done' tells us that doing homework is first, then went to sleep. If not. How can you tell which sentence below come first?

I went to sleep.
I did my homework.

The above is the 'formula'.

So, first look at MC's resource. I wish is later in the past. 'I' scored hundred marks first. So, shouldn't we use 'had scored'?

However, look at the other resource. Wish come later in the past, yes. Bring the torch is first, yes. So which is correct? Who should I follow? Or both is correct? I checked the net, they did not say anything about wishes or so on. So, if anyone knows the answer, pls call me, or reply on the tagboard. Your reply will be greatly appreciated. (:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home