Thursday, November 5, 2009

Post-results

Yoh, dudes and dudettes -- I just figured out that this is a female term for dudes! :D

And darn la, I'm having a hellish situation of runny nose (I once said running nose), sore throat and cough. Poking on my nerves is the fact that tomorrow's last day of school celebration, and my class ordered 8 pizzas from the class funds. I'm still contemplating (hard) on whether to gorge myself tomorrow, and end up with a burning throat.

Wahahaa, I maintained my 3.87 (maybe). (:

My English EOY was like atrocious -- scoring 31/50 -- but it's like wth, how did I managed to get 70%? I calculated it to be 68% leh.

I'm like annoyingly annoyed with myself for scraping off 12.5 marks from my Maths EOY, due to my unprofessional mathematical calculations and reading. I hecking gave a fraction when the answer read 'Correct to 2 significant figures.'

But the most infuriating matter of all is that I got zero for the first page of geog, cos' I didn't study the first topic. ~.~ I discovered that it's in my genes that I won't do well geog! :D My mum screwed and hated geog as well, when she was schooling. Well, I can only fault my genes for screwing up geog. Woohooooo.

Anyway, I'm applying for this special science programme that's going to be available to us next year. In the application, there's this section where you list your academic achievements/awards.

I've just realised how different neighbourhood schools' and independent schools' students are being nurtured. As I looked into the submission box, people's achievements for science (for primary 6 and sec 1) are in stacks. They include science club, being in competitions and the list rolls on.

This sparks the issue on the difference of how students of independent primary schools and neighbourhood primary schools are being nurtured. In neighbourhood schools like ckps, we generally do not have the opportunities to explore and experience. e.g The absence of a science club?

However, in independent primary schools, students are exposed to many variations and experiences in their studies. They allow their students to enjoy constant participation in competitions. They open their students into a bigger realm of experiences.

Generally, in the selection of pupils for the special science programme, GEP-ers and pupils from independent schools will of course stand out. These pupils are considered to be more 'intellectually inclined' due to the fact that they were exposed to many unknowns and experiences -- after referring to the stacks of achievements they have.

However, neighbourhood students like us are usually (only) exposed to stuffs like NSW. How far can the list of our experiences go? I believe, we will likely face this problem as being considered incompetent due to the absence of exposure, especially in schools such as RI.

It's undeniably unfair to us. The shortlisting process is based on merit, undoubtedly. However, the merit we attain is generally differentiated due to the different levels of exposure. In the long run, we neighbourhood students will of course lose out. Just because we don't have the chance to prove our capabilities?

I believe this is another demonstration of the analogy of being a small fish in an ocean.

Hais, but what to do?

Juniors seeing this, better buck up on all the NSWs you have. :D Cos' you will surely find it coming in handy when you come into secondary school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home